The Department of Economics currently runs a two-year Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree programme in Economics on full time basis. The program has been designed in such a way that students can finish in two academic years. This program prepares students for careers in industry, the public sector, undergraduate teaching, as well as those who want to pursue PhD in Economics.
Admission Requirements FOR MPhil Economics Knust
A good first degree in Economics, at least Second Class (Upper Division). Candidates must have done Econometrics, Advanced Economic Theory and Mathematics for Economists at the undergraduate level in a recognized tertiary institution. Admission is subject to passing an interview.
MPhil Economics Knust Fees
Students pay two types of fees each year. The first type of fees is the Academic Facility User Fees (AFUF). The second type of fees is Bench fees. Both fees are paid directly to the university.
MPhil Economics Knust Courses
The first year of the programme is devoted to course work. Students take five(5) core courses Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Mathematical Economics, and Research Methods in Economics plus three elective courses selective selected from the following; Monetary Theory and Practice, International Economics, Public Finance, Environmental Economics, Natural Resource Economics, Health Economics, Economic Policy Analysis, Energy Economics, Financial Economics, Development Economics, Construction Economics, and Operations Research.
Year I Semester I
Year I Semester II
- Research Methods in Economics
- Plus three(3) elective courses selected from the following
- Monetary Theory and Practice
- International Economics
- Public Finance
- Environmental Economics
- Natural Resource Economics
- Health Economics
- Economic Policy Analysis
- Financial Economics
- Energy Economics
- Development Economics
- Construction Economics
- Operations Research
Research (Thesis Work)
In the second year, students work on their Thesis which consists of original research established by an extensive literature review and justification for the results. Special departmental seminars are organized for students to present their research work to the faculty and other graduate students.
An oral examination of the Thesis work is required. In accordance with the guidelines set by the School of Graduate Studies, an oral examination can only be done for a Thesis that has been passed by both external and internal examiners.
Mode of Application
- First of all, candidates must purchase an eVoucher by paying an application fee at the following banks: GCB, Ecobank or uniBank.
- Upon payment of the application fee, candidates will receive an eVoucher containing an application number and PIN that will grant access to the online admissions portal.
- Candidates should then proceed to online admissions website: https://apps.knust.edu.gh/admissions/ and begin the application process.
- Once the process has been completed, candidates must print out 3 copies of the completed application form from the portal and submit them (by post) to the School of Graduate Studies along with all relevant documents (Photocopies of Certificates, Recommendation Letters, and (Transcript for those attending KNUST for the first time)) to the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
Only candidates who successfully gain admission will be notified subsequently.
All International Applicants must apply online. International applicants who are admitted will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
You may contact the Department of Economics for further details on 0322062100
- PhD Economics Knust | Admission Requirements & Mode of Application
- MSc Economics Knust | Admission Requirements & Mode of Application
- Does Knust offer BSc economics? KNUST Department of Economics