PhD Economics Knust; The Department of Economics currently runs one-year Master of Science (MSc), two-year Master of Philosophy (MPhil)and four-year Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree programmes in Economics.
The Department of Economics currently runs a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programme in Economics on full-time basis.
Admission Requirements FOR PhD Economics Knust
A good first degree in Economics at least Second Class (Upper Division) plus a good master’s degree (with an average grade not less than a B or equivalent) in economics or related field with sufficient background in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics from a recognized tertiary institution. A good background in statistics and mathematics will be an added advantage. A Thesis proposal is NOT required. Admission is subject to passing an interview.
PhD Economics Knust Fees
Students pay two types of fees each year. The first type of fees is the Academic Facility User Fees (AFUF). The second type of fees is Bench fees. Both fees are paid directly to the university.
The program consists of two components – course work and research.
Course Work FOR PhD Economics Knust
In the first year of the program, students will be required to register for courses in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, and two specialization courses. The specialization courses can be selected from the following:
- Health Economics
- Advanced Topics in Health Economics
- Enviromental Economics
- Natural Resource Economics
- International Trade
- International Finance
- Growth Theory and Empirics
- Energy Economics
- Econometric Theory and Practice
At the end of the first year, PhD candidates take a comprehensive examination in the following courses:
Research (Thesis Work)
Candidates are expected to formulate their research ideas and develop them into full research proposal by the end of their first year on the programme. The proposal will be presented in an open departmental seminar. Supervisors will be assigned at this stage of the programme.
The PhD thesis can take one of two forms:
1. A monograph: – here a student takes one topic and writes a very “big” book.
2. Article Based: – here a student writes at least three publishable articles, of which at least one should have been accepted for publication in a recognized peer reviewed journal before the final defense can be organized.
In order to promote and monitor the research effort and progress of our doctoral candidates, the department organizes seminars on weekly basis, where faculty members, faculty members in other departments and research institutes, PhD and MPhil candidates give a lecture or seminar on a defined topic.
Mode of Application FOR PhD Economics Knust
- First of all, candidates must purchase an eVoucher by paying an application fee at the following banks: GCB, Ecobank or uniBank.
- Upon payment of the application fee, candidates will receive an eVoucher containing an application number and PIN that will grant access to the online admissions portal.
- Candidates should then proceed to online admissions website: https://apps.knust.edu.gh/admissions/ and begin the application process.
- Once the process has been completed, candidates must print out 3 copies of the completed application form from the portal and submit them (by post) to the School of Graduate Studies along with all relevant documents (Photocopies of Certificates, Recommendation Letters, and (Transcript for those attending KNUST for the first time)) to the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
Only candidates who successfully gain admission will be notified subsequently.
All International Applicants must apply online. International applicants who are admitted will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
Please contact the Department of Economics for further details on 0322062100
- MSc Economics | Admission Requirements & Mode of Application
- Does Knust offer BSc economics? KNUST Department of Economics
- Knust Economics Course Outline
- 2021/2022 Admission In Economics,Entry Requirement,Assessment and Career Opportunities